This is one of those emails that has been floating around for a while and I really like it. I do not think there is a single thing on here that I do not remember. Even the one where mom threw out the “safety arm” to stop me from flying through the windshield.
“If you are 40 or older…
When I was a kid, adults used to bore me to tears with their tedious diatribes about how hard things were when they were growing up…yadda, yadda, yadda. And I remember promising myself that when I grew up, there was no way I was going to lay a load like that on my kids about how hard I had it and how easy they’ve got it! But now that I’m over the ripe old age of forty, I can’t help but look around and notice the youth of today. You’ve got it so easy! I mean, compared to my childhood! And I hate to say it, but you kids today, you don’t know how good you’ve got it!
- I mean, when I was a kid we didn’t have the Internet. If we wanted to know something, we had to go to the library and look it up ourselves, in the card catalog!!
- There was no email!! We had to actually write somebody a letter – with a pen!
- Child Protective Services didn’t care if our parents spanked us. As a matter of fact, the parents of all my friends also had permission to spank us! Nowhere was safe!
- There were no MP3′s or iTunes! If you wanted to steal music, you had to hitchhike to the record store and shoplift it yourself! Or you had to wait around all day to tape it off the radio, and the DJ would usually talk over the beginning and @#*% it all up!
- We didn’t have fancy crap like Call Waiting! If you were on the phone and somebody else called, they got a busy signal, that’s it!
- There weren’t any freakin’ cell phones either. If you left the house, you just didn’t make a call or receive one. You actually had to be out of touch with your “friends”.
- And we didn’t have fancy Caller ID either! When the phone rang, you had no idea who it was! It could be your school, your parents, your boss, your bookie, your drug dealer, the collection agent… you just didn’t know!!! You had to pick it up and take your chances, mister!
- There was no Cartoon Network either! You could only get cartoons on Saturday Morning. Do you hear what I’m saying? We had to wait ALL WEEK for cartoons, you spoiled little rat-bastards!
- And we didn’t have microwaves. If we wanted to heat something up, we had to use the stove! Imagine that!
- And our parents told us to stay outside and play… all day long. Oh, no, no electronics to soothe and comfort. And if you came back inside… you were doing chores!
- And car seats – oh, please! Mom threw you in the back seat and you hung on. If you were lucky, you got the “safety arm” across the chest at the last moment if she had to stop suddenly, and if your head hit the dashboard, well that was your fault for calling “shot gun” in the first place!
- We didn’t have any fancy Play Station or Xbox video games with high-resolution 3-D graphics!
- With games like ‘Space Invaders’ and ‘Asteroids’. Your screen guy was a little square! And you could never win. The game just kept getting harder and harder and faster and faster until you died! Just like LIFE!
You kids today have got it too easy. You’re spoiled rotten! You guys wouldn’t have lasted five minutes back in the 1970′s!
Regards, The Over 40 Crowd”0
Like this post? Share it with someone.Tweet